It’s no secret, fresh and in-season corn always tastes the best. There are more ways than just on the cob to enjoy fresh corn, especially when you find yourself with an abundance. While soup may not be the first choice for a summer meal, it’s deliciously light and refreshing but still fills you for a day of fun in the sun.
What you’ll need:
- 6 ears fresh corn
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 2 celery ribs
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 pound red potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp each dried thyme, dried basil and dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
This will yield about 4 servings. It can also be frozen for up to 3 months to be enjoyed during the cooler months.
If you have some extra fresh veggies on hand, don’t be afraid to add them! Diced tomatoes or bell peppers make a great (and colorful) additions to this soup. Just toss them in when you add the corn and potatoes.
Have some protein laying around? Roasted chicken or shredded pork makes a great addition to this soup too, especially if it’s too light as is.
You can always add in sour cream, cheese, or fresh herbs as a garnish.
1. Cut the corn off the cob. For an easier way to do this, use a bundt pan! Hold the corn in the center of the pan, resting on top of the whole, As you cut the kernels off, the pan will catch them.
2. Finely dice the onion and potatoes, chop the celery, and mince the garlic.
3. Heat olive oil and butter in a large pot. Add the onion and celery until softened (about 5 minutes). Add in garlic and cook for one more minute.
4. Add corn, potatoes, broth, water, thyme, basil, oregano, and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then let simmer for 10-12 minutes until the potatoes are soft. Taste and add salt, pepper, or more spices if desired. This is the perfect opportunity to add other vegetables or proteins.
5. With an immersion blender or a stand blender, blend the soup to your desired consistency. This step is optional but adds even more flavor to the soup.
6. Serve warm with optional garnishes and enjoy!
Summer comes along with being outside, visiting family, and all kinds of exciting trips. We don’t want to let hearing loss change how much fun you have in the sun. Learn more about hearing and get back to those summer activities.
Want to give us a visit? Find the location closest to you and schedule online! It’s a few simple clicks. You can also give us a call anytime and a live patient care representative will answer your call.