Summer is right around the corner, and nothing brings in the warm season like fresh berries and sweet treats. Skip the trip to the grocery store and enjoy more fun under the sun by making your own shortcakes (and even whipped cream) at home. You can even freeze these shortcakes to keep the treats coming all summer long!
The trick? Use some Bisquick! It’s easier thank you think, lets get started.
What you’ll need:
- 4-6 cups quartered fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/3 cup Bisquick (or any alternative you have)
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp melted butter
For Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbs sugar
This will yield about 6 shortcake biscuits. They can be baked and frozen for up to 3 months.
The amount of strawberries is up to you! Although we are a big fan of adding in blueberries or bananas if we are running low on strawberries.
Making your own whipped cream makes this treat even better. It’s quick and easy, but if you’re running low on time, any whipped topping works.
Optional ingredients: Coarse sugar, 2 tbsp of heavy cream
1. Pre-heat your oven to 425 F. Add 1/2 cup of sugar and strawberries into a bowl, mix, and let it sit. This releases the juices from the strawberries. If you’re not serving immediately after baking, cover and set in a fridge
2. Add Bisquick, milk, sugar, and butter into a bowl and mix until it becomes a soft dough
3. On an ungreased baking sheet, drop 6 spoonfuls of the dough. Let bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown. ** brush the tops with heavy cream and sprinkle with coarse sugar to make them even better!
4. Add heavy cream, 2 tbsp of sugar, and vanilla extract into a bowl. Using an electric mixer, whip the cream until you get soft peaks.
5. Once the shortcakes are done, split in half, add whipped cream and strawberries, and enjoy!
Along with sweet treats, summer comes along with being outside, visiting family, and all kinds of exciting trips. We don’t want to let hearing loss change how much fun you have in the sun. Learn more about hearing and get back to those summer activities.
Want to give us a visit? Find the location closest to you and schedule online! It’s a few simple clicks. You can also give us a call anytime and a live patient care representative will answer your call.